- Oct 11 2019
International Workshop On Management Tools and Leadership for Health Systems Strengthening for Health Professionals from Iraq (with focus on Communicable Diseases)
AT A GLANCE
We are delighted to announce the successful completion of the International Workshop on Management Tools for Health Systems Strengthening for Iraqi Health Professionals with focus on Communicable Diseases, organized by Empower. It was a 5-day face-to-face workshop held in Istanbul, Turkey from 06th to 10th October 2019.
Throughout the course of the workshop, time was allotted for group work, exercises, discussions, role play, case studies and participant presentations on Leadership, Management tools and Health System building blocks.
The workshop provided a platform for participants to discuss and learn about prevailing management concepts and tools to strengthen the communicable diseases units in their respective departments and country. Participants worked in groups of 5 on different case studies reflective of context-specific situations in their country. Using a hands-on approach, they worked with management tools such as logical frameworks, stakeholder analytic matrices, problem analytic tools, issue trees, SWOT matrices and decision-making tools. Using the health system building blocks and these tools, they conducted a health system assessment of their country and presented their findings. They conducted self-assessments on their leadership and team building capacities, and engaged in a role play session to display their understanding of change management techniques.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE workshop
- Participants’ profiles: senior level participants from the Ministry of Health Iraq and mid-level WHO Staff attended the workshop. They were from the Communicable Disease Units spanning Tuberculosis, Immunization, HIV/AIDS, Anti-microbial resistance and Neglected Tropical Diseases.
- Experience: 80% of the participants had 15 - 20 years and 20% had less than 6 years of experience.
- Trainers: expert faculty with rich experience in Health Systems Strengthening, Management Concepts and Tools, and Leadership and Change Management conducted the sessions and moderated the group work over the course of 5 days.
- Mode of delivery: face-to-face workshop with group work, case studies, presentations & role play sessions.
Key topics covered:
- Health Systems Building Blocks
- Governance/ Health Financing / Health Information Systems
- Health Technology /Human Resources / Service Delivery
- Management Tools
- Problem assessment / Problem Tree Analysis
- Logical Framework Approach / Objective Tree Analysis
- Stakeholder/ Strategy/ SWOT/ Situational Analysis
- Needs Assessment, Priority Setting and Decision-making Tools
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Qualitative and Quantitative Monitoring and Evaluation Tools
- Types and Uses of Objectively Verifiable Indicators
- Leadership for Health System Strengthening
- Situational Leadership
- Change Management
- Strategic Communication
PARTICIPANTS’ RECOMMENDATION OF THE WORKSHOP
A 100% of the participants highly recommended this workshop to their colleagues, and the workshop concepts were especially recommended to public health managers, newly assigned managers, Ministry of Health staff, and humanitarian workers who run and manage projects.
Click Here For PDF View: International Workshop On Management Tools and Leadership for Health Systems Strengthening